Dream Yourself Awake
At some point in your life, no matter how old or young you are, you’ve likely had a dream that you’ve wanted to come true. Well, it’s not impossible. We have been taught to dream big. Many of us have even created vision boards to remind us of those things that we desire to accomplish. We have shared our dreams with family and friends for accountability and encouragement. We may have gone as far as having mentors or life coaches to help guide us through the process of achieving those goals.
Having a dream is a driving force and source of motivation, and sharing that dream with others can be beneficial. But a dream can't become your reality unless you take the necessary steps intentionally toward those goals.
When you think about the phrase "pursuing your dreams," consider what that truly means—to strive for something, work toward it, seek and aspire to achieve it. You can't just think about a dream—you have to do the dream and produce actions with what you say. Understanding this foundation of dreaming will help when the “going gets tough” in those moments when life becomes difficult or challenging.
Understanding the why of your dreams is important, as well. It helps you know how to accomplish the goals you’ve set for yourself. While all of us have different dreams, there are basic steps you can take in laying a foundation for your dreams.
1. Write down your dreams—your dreams can move from an inspiration stage to an action stage.
2. Post your dreams—even when times get rough, you will have a visual of what you're striving for.
3. Research—don’t find yourself distracted or taking the wrong steps.
4. Find people who are already doing what you would like to do—you could even shadow them for a day or two to see what it's like.
5. Develop a step-by-step plan—give yourself dates and timelines to complete tasks.
6. Find someone who will hold you accountable—it’s beneficial to have someone besides yourself to support you and encourage you along the way.
7. Get to work—and don’t stop.
Everyone's process will look different, but these foundational steps can help you stay strong and keep pursuing your dreams, even when you face tough times in life. Don’t give up on your dreams—and definitely don’t give up on yourself.