15 Ways to Stay Cool as a Cucumber When Summer Heats Up!
Summer is one of my favorite seasons! I enjoy the sunny days, late sunsets, early sunrises, time at the beach and dining al fresco. What I don’t like is feeling like a worn-out dish rag when summer decides to turn up the heat and humidity! When that happens, my first priority is to stay cool!
Here are some ways to stay cool as a cucumber when summer heats up!
- Avoid heating up the kitchen. Eat small, cool meals such as salads with chilled protein. Use shrimp, chicken salad, poached salmon or beef strips cooked on the grill in the cooler morning hours. Fruits like melons, berries, grapes, peaches and apples make great desserts or snacks. One of my favorite summer dessert treats is coconut milk ice cream!
- Stay hydrated. Avoid caffeinated, alcohol and hot beverages. Opt for good old water or sparkling water with fruit juice ice cubes.
- Brew and drink Chrysanthemum tea. It lowers your body temperature.
Keep it Cool Inside
- Close the curtains and blinds during the day to keep the sun from heating up your house.
- Use ceiling or oscillating fans to keep the air moving around, even if you have A/C.
- Keep the lights off. Lightbulbs heat up a space pretty quickly.
Sweet Cool Slumber
- Opt for very lightweight, loose-fitting cotton pajamas.
- Choose natural fiber bedding. Cotton or linen sheets and blankets will keep you cooler than synthetic bedding. Use feather or down pillows with cotton covers.
- Place an old-fashioned water bottle filled with ice water in your bed right before you lay down.
Keep Your Body Cool
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting, natural fiber clothing.
- Take a lukewarm bath or shower, and rinse with cool water. Use a cooling mint soap or body wash and body lotion.
- Chill your skincare products in the fridge for a refreshing facial treat.
- Put damp washcloths, folded in half, in the freezer to use as a cooling neck wrap.
- Place a chilled bottle of water on the inside of your wrists, ankles and knees for a quick cool down.
- Avoid strenuous exercise/activity during the hottest part of the day.
When you use any - or all - of these chilly tips, you will be able to keep your cool and breeze through those hot, steamy summer days like a rockstar!