How to create your own sacred haven
As an interior designer, I love to create a sacred haven for women inside or outside their home. When designing and decorating this sacred haven I look for items to transform, inspire and enrich her personal well-being.
A sacred haven is a purposeful place in your home or outdoor space that lets you express your need for ongoing spiritual nourishment. It’s a great place to spend time alone to recognize and accept our desires and fears.
Let’s break away from your living room and kitchen and make a space uniquely yours where you can become regenerated, transformed and reinvigorated on each visit. This place is about being with your innermost thoughts and getting closer to what is in your heart. Whether you live in an urban, suburban or rural population or whether your home is a sprawling estate or a studio apartment, you can still create your sacred haven for reflection, meditation and rest.
Choose a space indoors or outdoors
- A serene and calm area
- A comfortable, organized and functional space
- All personal items; not a shared space
- Use a corner of your bedroom, spare room or a space in your backyard/garden area
Decorate your space
- Incorporate flowers, cushions and pillows. I love being cozy, so I use throws and pillows to create a sense of softness.
- Focal point: comfy chair, a table for your hot tea, hot coffee, etc., to calm yourself
- Special lighting: string lights, big beautiful lamp, etc.
- Visual art: your own, gifts from friends/family, postcards of famous artist’s works, etc.
- Photographs of special places you want to visit or have visited
- Aroma: choosing inspirational candles with positive messages on the container are two-fold; you can be inspired by the fragrance and message.
- Décor items: wall hanging with inspirational messages, desktop/tabletop sayings
- Sacred words of wisdom (from your Bible or favorite women’s magazine)
- Use colors that are calming when choosing wall colors, fabrics, etc.
- Music is always an added treat for relaxing.
- If outdoors, create a small garden oasis and add wind chimes, water fountains and birdfeeders to the above items of your choice.
Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Ephesians 4:31-32 NIV