It’s cold outside, and the dry winter months can wreak havoc on your skin. The wonders of water can keep your epidermis in tip-top condition with a little extra work. But there are multiple ways that you can healthily hydrate your most outstanding outer layer.
1. Drink Up! Keep the chardonnay at bay, and slug some H2O, instead. Water is your best friend, so make sure to increase your daily intake to hydrate from the inside. Add some lemon for extra detoxification. Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning is a great way to start your day. It is the best natural energy booster and nourishes your body with trace elements, vitamins and minerals that your body needs.
2. Steam Heat – A hot, steaming facial can produce an instant skin boost. It only takes five to 10 minutes to see a dramatic difference. You can simply put a towel over your head with a pot of water on the stove, or you can invest in a steam facial machine. They tend to be inexpensive, and it’s more relaxing to sit while steaming your way to gorgeousness. For an extra-fancy spa-like facial, add a drop of essential oil. Lavender calms the skin, while eucalyptus invigorates. Finish with a pure honey mask for a deeper moisturizing moment. Honey locks moisture into your skin cells and contains powerful antioxidants that will nourish your fantastic face.
3. Scrub-a-Dub – It may seem counterintuitive, but if you don’t properly exfoliate, your moisturizer won’t properly penetrate. Use a gentle scrub all over your body to ensure the best base for topical absorption of your lotions and potions. It is best to do this about 10–15 minutes into your shower so that your skin has had some time to soften. A loofah will also leave your body ready for head-to-toe moisturizing.
4. Oil Change – It’s a slippery slope, so put down that soap. Don’t be afraid to add some body oil into your skincare routine. Don’t overuse a harsh soap, but try a moisturizing body wash instead. After your shower, pat down with your towel, which will leave your skin slightly damp. Rub down with some body oil to lock in the moisture before finishing with your regular lotion. That’s right—double up! The best body formula is sweet almond oil. It really soaks in and doesn’t stay greasy.
5. Happy Humidification – Humidity is key! After running your central heat and sitting in front of space heaters, you have likely sucked all of the moisture out of your life—and your skin. You can replenish with a humidifier, preferably when you sleep. Get yourself a little steam machine, and let the vapors work their magic while you slumber and recharge.